Mc DONALD–SHEETS BURIAL-PLACE
Cemetery is near the center of the North edge of the
N.E.1/4 Section 8, of Township 27 N., R.1 E., 2nd
Cemetery is on S. side of an E-W road that separates Sec.5 from Sec.8 & connects U.S.Hwy.35 / IN.29 [Logansport to Winamac] commonly known as “The Old Royal Center Pike”, “Old Chicago Road” or [Old 29] in which 2 thoroughfares run N.W., and within 1/2 mile of each other.
Cemetery is in the N.W. corner of the Mark M. Jones, formerly “Cogley Farm” of 122 acres which is closer to the Royal Center Pike than to U.S.35. From the cemetery, the land sharply falls away to the S. & W. affording a fine view to the South.
The cemetery [now farmed over] is just E. of & across
the fence from the N.E. corner of the “Old Bachman [21.28 acre farm] occupied
by Mrs. Anna Cotner Bachman Rupe. On the S. side of the E/W road is the Rupp
house & just E. of the house are 3-4 barns, E. of the barns is the cemetery
& in the NE corner [abt. 400
Highway U.S.35 [N.W-S.E. ] is just a little more than 1/4 mile west of the cemetery which follows the old & abandoned Hill Road, [Logansport to Chicago] Pennsylvania railroad line & is the place where the E-W. Road [where cemetery was located] crossed by the track & was formerly called “Ford’s Crossing.
As many as four persons were buried at this location during the 1870’s or 1880’s & there were at one time at least one or two marble slabs but the only persons now known to have been buried here are:
John McDonald whose remains were later disinterred
& removed to the Kline-Weyland cemetery three or more miles N.W. in
An infant child of Charles Sheets, who died ca.1880 or earlier per the Logansport Journal Newspaper 5-15-1910.
this cemetery was done 15-Jun-1941 by R.B.Whitsett, Jr.-secretary of the
L’A.V.M.A., after consultation with Mrs. Anna Cotner Bachman Rupe, both of
This report was input by Pat Fiscel March 9, 2007 for the Cass County INGenWeb Project.
Return to Cemeteries of Cass County Indiana