NEFF FAMILY BURIAL GROUND
W. 1/3 of N.W. 1/4,
fractional section 34, T.27N, R.1E. 2nd IN P.M. in
Between 1826 & 1829,
during the earliest years of the American settlement of
Just due South of these graves is [May 30, 1940] a large red & very conspicuous old barn [on the Ernst Hamburg farm] that sits very close to the Longcliff Creek, which flows in a N.W. direction & merges with the Wabash River a short distance west.
The three children’s names unfortunately are lost in time & history. It’s understood that shortly after these children died [1830-1831], JACOB NEFF & other adult members of this pioneer family established themselves nearby in this [N.W. 1/4 of frac.Sec.34] of Cass Co., IN. & curiously examined the rude little wooden crosses or other humble markers which were on the children’s graves [perhaps even then unknown] & decided to establish here with them as a sort of nucleus, a burial ground for their neighbors, friends & loved ones. During the following decades, several members of the NEFF families & quite likely one or more other families were buried here. Ultimately, the NEFF’S who were buried here were disinterred & removed to the much larger, better kept and more permanent St. John’s Cemetery about a mile S.W. The other graves, said to have been [6 or more] were left undisturbed in their now unmarked graves.
The Old-Timers say that the
paling-fence which was here has entirely disappeared & the
At this late date it doesn’t seem possible to obtain the names & dates of those who are interred her & so persons interested in those Neff’s & other families who were long ago buried here or in other Neff’s who were of the township are encouraged to consult “Thomas B. Helm’s, 1886 “History of Cass County, Indiana pgs.717 & 718. Also,
Dr. J.Z. Powell’s  History of Cass County, Indiana” [Vol. 1, pgs. 548-549], which briefly mentions this cemetery.
L’ANGUILLE VALLEY MEMORIAL
Report by R.B. Whitsett,
Jr.-Chairman-Cemetery Research Committee
Input by Pat Fiscel from the L'Anguille Valley Memorial Association Report for the Cass County INGenWeb Project April 2007.
Return to Cemeteries of Cass County Indiana