In W-Central CLAY Township , N.E-Central CASS County , INDIANA

N. edge of N.W.1/4, Sec. 16, T. 27 N., R. 2 E., 2nd P.M..

Cemetery was 1/2 mile N.N.W of Bethel Methodist Church ; & nearly 3/4 mile E.of the brick structure, a widely known landmark of Shady Nook school-house (no longer used for school purposes). The cemetery, [no longer identifiable as such] since for many years it has become a part of a cultivated field. The cemetery used to be immediately S. of the east-and-west road which marks the boundary between sections 9 & 16. It seems to have been on high ground a short distance west of the hollow of a creek called “Fish Pond Creek,” because it’s dam just N. of the east-to-west road previously mentioned. The creek flows in a S.E. direction & empties into nearby “Tick Creek,” a sizeable tributary of the Eel River . About 3/5 mile E. of Shady Nook school-house, the east/west road is joined by an angling road that comes in from the S.W. via the town of Twelve Mile, IN.,  practically facing the southern terminus of this angling road. From 1853 – 1864 there was a United Brethren Church served by Rev.’s Terrel & Peters & adjoining this church [perhaps on the E & S.E]. was the JULIAN cemetery. A decade or two ago, there is said to have been a badly weathered, undecipherable, little, old slab lying under a Sycamore tree at this place; but a former state senator who is very well acquainted with this region said that the tree too is gone [1941!]

The Old-Timers of the area are in agreement that the cemetery was on the West side of Fish Pond Creek Hollow. The late, former county historian, Dr. J.Z. Powell in 1909 interviewed the older residents of this region authorized that there were originally 30-40 persons buried in this cemetery between 1830’s-1840’s & that most or even all of them were subsequently removed to the Bethel Methodist Cemetery just 1/2 mile south. According to Powell’s report those persons buried here were:

JULIAN, Sarah [Mrs. George] 1830’s    who’s husband built a saw-mill on Tick Creek

2 MURPHY: -children of John Murphy who operated a tannery just across the road a bit further east.

La ROSE: A brother to Noah La Rose

RUSH, George (A Henry Rush owned land 2 mile E. during late 1840’s.

RUSH, Ebenezer

WELCH: An Edward Welch purchased land adjoining this cemetery., after Jan.17, 1852.


And many others & other families.


Noah La Rose: Was a candidate for the Clerk of Indiana Supreme Court-1868. Son of Phillip & Anna Maria [Sherer] La Rose of NC. Noah had two adult brothers named Joshua & John S. La Rose, who like Noah may have born in OH.


Report for the




October 24, 1940


R.B. Whitsett, Jr.

With special help from

Chas. Thomas; F.H. Whipperman; Manice Crowe; Roscoe Martin 


This report was input by Pat Fiscel February 2007 for the Cass County INGenWeb Project.

Return to Cemeteries of Cass County Indiana