Dr. George D. Miller Killed

State Senator Dies of Fractured Skull After Motor Crash

Prominent Local Physician and Senator Representing Cass And Fulton Counties, Passes Away at Local Hospital Seven and One-Half Hours Following Accident; Mrs. Miller, Two Children and Friend of Family suffer Injuries.

Dr. George D. Miller, prominent local physician and state senator of Cass and Fulton counties, was mortally injured in an automobile-truck crash on state road 29, northwest of here, late Thursday night and succumbed at the Cass county hospital Friday morning at 6:05 o'clock.

He was 62 years old.

Death was caused by a skull fracture at the base of the brain, according to Dr. John Bradfield, the attending physician, and Coroner M. B. Stewart who is investigating the tragic accident which caused minor injury of four others, including two children, and imperiled the lives to two men in the truck.

Our Loss

Death Writes Finis in Brilliant

Career of Dr. George D. Miller, Physician and Public Servant

Dr. George D. Miller, native and life-long resident of Logansport, won his tidal of state senator in the general election of 1932 when he defected M. O. Enyart of Fulton in the tittle wave of Democrat voters that swept the nation. He took office in the subsequent January and was a leader in health measures during both the 1933 and 1935 legislatures. During the last session he sponsored the state Beauty Culture Regulation Act, and was another of the law providing for appointment of part time and fulltime county and city health officers. He also was author of the act which authorizes counties, cities and towns to supply anti-toxin and virus free for treatment of diphtheria scarlet fever and tetanus.

Repeal of the state hydraphobia fund law was another of Dr. Miller's successful bills in the 1935 assembly.

That of state senator from Cass and Fulton was set the first public office that Dr. Miller filled. He was elected coroner of Cass county In 1906 and re-elected two years later serving four years altogether. Later, in 1922 when Fran V. Gurthrie became mayor of Logansport , Dr. Miller was appointed secretary of the board of public health and served in that capacity until Jan. 1, 1930, a period of eight years. He was always active in Democrat political affairs and was well-know in a wide radius around Logansport.

Dr. Miller was born in Logansport August 7, 1873, the son of Wendell and Caroline Grusenmeyer Miller and attended the district schools as a boy. In 1893-4-5 he took a preparatory course in Mannal Training high school at St. Louis, Mo., and in the fall of 1896 matriculated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Indianapolis, from where he was duly graduated April 4, 1901. About three weeks later he began practice of his profession here.

For many years Dr. Miller was secretary of the Cass County Medical society and also was affiliated with the Indiana State Medical Society and the American Medical association.

Locally he was affiliated with Orient lodge No. 33 F. and A. M. St. John Commandry No. 24, Knights Templar: Logan Chapter No. 2 and Logansport Council No. 11, and the Eagles.

The injured, none of who are confined to the hospital although three received, medical treatment there are:

Mrs. Margaret Miller, 62 wife of the doctor abrasions on knees and arms.

Ruth Caswell, 13, granddaughter of the Millers, ruptured blood vessel under the skin of her left arm and bruises.

Jean Knaues, Il of 330 High street, scratches and bruises of an extremely mid nature.

Charles Bowersok, 58, of Syracuse, Ind., driver of the car is which the Millers and children were driving, gash on forehead and abrasions and cuts on left arm.

Raymond Hobson, 25, of Dunkirk, Ind., (near Muncie) driver of the truck, and his relief driver was was sleeping at the time of the crash, escaped unscathed. The name of the relief was not learned.

Crash at Curve

Sheriff Homer Stonebraker in investigated the accident which happened just below the curve of the south of the Maple Grove tourist camp on the paved highway.

The local party was southbound and the truck was going north, according to officials, and the vehicles, sideswiped.

Bowersok said that he was driving about 35 miles per hour when he rounded the curve and saw the truck coming up the grade. Then the vehicles scraped together, he turned sidewise on the road, he said, and as they parted his car, fright front door flew open and R. Miller lunged out on the concrete. H was bleeding profusely form the injury at the back of his head when he was picked up and was in a semi-conscious condition.

In the opinion of Coroner Stewart and Bowersok,, Dr. Miler suffered the fatal skull fracture when his head stuck the pavement as he fell from the car.

Neither the truck nor the automobile upset but the latter was damaged extensively and of running commission. The truck however of the large semi-trailer variety, was able to continue, on its way after the driver had been questioned by the sheriff. The truck was enroute to Chicago with a load of plate glass. Hobson told Stonebraker that he had the truck in second gear in order to make the hill and probably was not exceeding 10 miles per hour when the crash occurred.

Summon Ambulance

Other motorists who happened upon the scene of the wreck a few moments after it happened telephoned for an ambulance and Dr. Miller his wife and graddaughter [sic] were rushed to the hospital. The Knauss, girl was taken home in a car driver by Charles Slager of Des Monies, Ia., and Bowersok remained on the scene of the accident until a garage wreck crew arrived. The he was brought to the

Continue on Page 8

State Senator

Hospital, but left immediately after, his injuries had been dressed. Ms. Miller and her granddaughter were dismissed from the hospital shortly after 7 o'clock Friday morning and went to the Miller summer home at Pottowattomie Point east of the city.

In relating events leading up to the accident Bowersok said that the came to Logansport Thursday to visit with the Millers. They were very close friends. In the evening about 7 o'clock, like hundreds of others, they decided to take a ride to refresh themselves in the cool atmosphere which followed the stifling day.

As they started out the little Caswell girl suggested that they pick up Jean Knauss and Bowersok said he drove to her home where she got into the car. The party then drove to Winamac, stopped for a short time at the Indian Head tavern and then started home about 9:30 o'clock. The accident occurred about 10:30 o'clock.

Surviving Dr. Miller besides his wife and the granddaughter are an adopted daughter. Mrs. Dorothy Chadbourne, of Washington. D. C.,: another granddaughter. Joan Chadbourne, of Washington: two brothers, William Miller of 1802 Spear [?] street and Frank Miller of 214 Cole Street; and four sisters, Miss Nora Miller and Mrs. Josephine Lehman of Dayton, Ohio. Mrs. Charles march of near Lucerne and Mrs. Chris Minneman of near Royal Center.

Coroner Stewart said that the inquest will be held in the court house at 9 o'clock on the morning following the day of the funeral. In the meantime he will continue his investigation and order subpoenas served by the sheriff.

Funeral services will be held at Chase chapel Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock under the auspices of Tipton lodge No. 33, F and A. M. and burial will be made in Mt. Hope cemetery. In the meantime the body will remain at the chapel where friends may pay their respects.

Pharos Tribune Logansport July 19, 1935; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com


Dr. George Miller Senator Dies in Hospital

Skull Fracture Brings Death to End Brillian Career of Widely Known Local Physician, Funeral Monday

A skull fracture suffered when he plunged out of an automobile and struck the pavement in an accident on state road 29 northwest of Logansport late Thursday night, proved fatal to Dr. George David Miller, 62, widely known physician and state senator, yesterday at 6:05 a. m. in Cass county hospital. He was one of our persons injured when the car in which they were riding sideswiped a large truck and plunged in to the ditch.

The skull was fractured at the base of the brain, Dr. John Bradfield attending physician, and Coroner M. B. Stewart, who investigated the case, said. Dr. Miller was in a semi-conscious condition when rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. He apparently lost consciousness shortly before death occurred.

Others injured, Who received medical treatment at Cass County hospital but were later dismissed, are: Ms. Margaret (Maggie) Miller, 62, the widow, who suffered cuts and bruises about the knees and arms; Ruth Caswell, 12, granddaughter of the Millers, injures o the left arm and body bruises; Jean Knauss, 11, of 330 High street, scratched and bruised; Charles Bowersox, 58, driver of the car, of Syracuse, Ind., cuts about the head and arms.

Truck Driver Escapes

The truck driver, Raymond Hobson, 25, of Dunkirk, Ind., and his relief driver, whose name was not learned, escaped injury. After making a report to Sheriff Homer Stonebraker, who was called to the scene of the mishap, Hobson continued on the Chicago where he was hauling a ten-ton load of plate glass.

The mishap occurred as the local party, southbound, side

(Continued on Page 5)

swiped the truck headed north.

They were enroute home from Winamac where they had gone on a drive fore the evening, Bowersox said. Upon leaving the Millers home. 220 South Sixth street, the Caswell girl asked that Jean Knauss be taken along. The drive was taken primarily to cool off after a day of scorching heat and was nearly 11 o'clock when the party neared the city enroute home and the tragic accident occurred.

Bowersox said when the crash occurred the door flew open on the side where Dr. Miller sat and the local physician plunged head first from the machine. It is believed that Dr. Miller unkowningly gdrabbed the handle of the door and pushed downward when the impact took place and the force of his weight opened the door and threw him out.

Saw Truck Ahead

When questioned about the mishap Bowersox said the was traveling at a moderate rate of speed, about 30 miles an hour, when coming down the hill. He said he noticed the lights of the approaching truck and kept to the right side of the road, apparently far enough over to pass by, he thought.

Hobson told Sheriff Stonebraker the truck was in second gear in making the hill grade and could not be going faster than 10 miles an hour. Directly behind Hobson's struck was another piloted by D. C. Ford, owner of the two vehicles.

Dr. Miller, his wife and granddaughter where taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Miss Knauss was taken home in a car driven by Charles Slager of Des Moines, Ial., who happened on the scene. Bowersox remained at the scene ofthe mishap until the wrecked car was taken away and then he was brought to the hospital.

Prominent Politically

Dr. Miller, whose qualities as a physician were known over the county, was prominent in local state Democrat political affairs. He was elected to the Indiana Senate as a Joint Senator from Fulton and Cass counties in 1932, taking office in the Democrat landslide that swept the nation. He served as representative of the state Beauty Culture Regulation act and was author of the act which permits counties. cities and towns to supply anti-toxins free in combating such contagious diseases.

Besides serving in public office as a state solo Dr. Miller was secretary of the board of health from 1922 to 1930 during the administration of Frank V. Guthire. He also served as Cass county coroner from 1906 to 1910 being in office two successive terms.

Was Charitable Man

He was a kind, benevolent charcter [sic] He is reported to have expended hundreds of dollars annually for the needy besides giving them necessary medical attention. His death brings to an end, a brilliant career that will go down in the history of Logansport as one of the most outstanding of physicians to grace this community.

Dr. Miller was born in Logansport the son of Wendell and Caroline Grusenmeyer Miller on August 7, 1873. He attended local schools and later took a course in Manual Training high school at St. Louis, Mo. In April, 1901 he graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Indianapolis and shortly after took up practice of medicine in Logansport.

He was for several years secretary of the Cass county Medical society and also was connected with the Indiana and American Medical Associations.

Affiliated With Lodges

He was a member of Tipton lodge no 23 F. and A. M. St John's Commandery, Knights Templar, Logan Chapter and Logansport Council No. 11; The Eagles lodge.

On September 5, 1897, he was married to Miss Margaret Robinson, who survives him along with the granddaughter, Ruth Caswell; and adopted daughter, Mrs. Dorothy Chadbourne of Washington, D. C. another granddaughter, Joan Chadbourne of Washington; tow brothers, William Miller of 1802 Spear street, Frank Miller, 214 Cole street and four sisters, Miss Nora Miller and Mrs Josephine Lehman of Dayton., O., Mrs Charles March of near Lucerne and Mrs. Chris Minneman of near Royal Centre.

Funeral will be conducted from Chase chapel Monday at 2 p.m. under auspices of Tipton Masonic lodge and burial will be in Mt. Hope cemetery.

The body is at Chase Chapel where friends are invited to call to pay respects.

Logansport Press Sat July 20, 1935; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com


Dr. George Miller Services Monday

Fellow Legislator will Attend Rites for State Senator Fatally Injured in Accident; Coroner's Inquest Tuesday

Last rites for Dr. George D. Miller, one of the city's most prominent citizens, who died Friday of injuries suffered Thursday night in a truck - automobile accident east of the city on state road 29, will be held from Chase chapel Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock under the auspices of Tipton lodge no. 33, F. and A. M. and burial will be made in Mt. Hope cemetery.

A number of senators and representatives who served in the 1933 and 1935 General Assemblies with Dr. Miller who represented Cass and Fulton counties as will as many other state officials are expected to attend. Friends in the medical profession too, are expected from many near-by cities.

Eagles will meet at the chapel Sunday evening at 7"c0 o'clock to conduct, their ritualistic services for the deceased who was a charter member of the Logansport Aerie and one of the guiding lights in the movement that culminated in the construction of the Eagles home in Sixth street.

The coroner's inquest will open at 9 o'clock Tuesday morning in the court house according to Dr. M. B. Stewart who already has notified 11 person to appear and give testimony. Among these witnesses. Dr. Stewart said, will be "Happy" Baughman of Royal Center, who told the coroner that he was an eye witness to the accident which cost, the life of dr. Miller and resulted in the minor injury of four others.

Logansport Pharos - Tribune July 20, 1935; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte Flock flocks4@junct.com



Committees from all bodies of Free and Accepted Masons of this city are making plans for memorial services to be held Tuesday night, 7:30 p. m., in Masonic Temple honoring Isaac Shideler who died in 1922.Mr Shideler was one of Logansport's best Known Masons.

Logansport Pharos - Tribune July 20, 1935

Cass County Medical Society Pays Tribune to Dr. Miller

Cass County Medical society, at a called session yesterday, passed resolations in memoriam to Dr. George David Miller, one of it most active members. Dr. Miller died a week ago from injuries sustained in an automobile accident.

Resolutions drawn up by the medical society follow:

In Memoriam

Because of the important and intimate relationship of the Medical Profession and the general public, it is deemed fitting that at this time, special note be taken of the passing of one of our most worthy members.

State Senator, Doctor George D. Miller, the man of courage fortitude, charitable ambition and benevolence, and a long time member and active promoter of the best interest of the Cass County Medical Society, has gone from among us, but not his examples and inficences. They are ever will be with us. Many of his qualities are worthy of sincere emulation Whatsoever he undertook, or thought out to do, was pursued with relentless energy; soothing daunting. All of which accounts, very largely, for the successful culmination of the many projects that emirated from his fertile and energetic mind.

Doctor Miller was of a kindly, sympathetic dispositions. Whether agreeing with him or not, in his particular personal feelings, likes or dislikes, one could not but have a kindly and friendly feeling towards him; that being his own constant radiating spirit. Members of the Medical Fraternity and those of the general public who knew hi, especially his conferees, like him It mattered not whether of the Medical, Legal or other professions, or of the people of the street, all h ad a friendly feeling for Dr. Miller. This was particularly demonstrated by his being elected for twenty-five or more successive years to the office of Secretary of the Cass County Medical Society, in which office he fully demonstrated his powers of leadership.

He served two terms as Coroner of Cass County and eight years as Health Officer for the City of Logansport. At the time of his premature death., he was serving as a Sate Legislative committee-man for this Society, as well as Counsilor for the State Eleventh Counsilor District Medical Association; also as Chairman of the State Society Committee on Credentials, and examiner for several State Boards.

At the time of the last Presidential election, he was chosen by the voters of Cass And Fulton Counties to represent them as State Senator. While doing so, he introduced and aided in the enactment of some very valuable health and other laws, both to the Medical Profession and general public.

As he was in the political, professional, official and social life, so was he in his private and home life.

It was here that those who know, would say that Doctor Miller measured up to his ideals of life more than anywhere else. It is here where his ambition for the realization of a successful and happy life and its nucleus.

Any hone who has had the happy privilege of meeting with him in his home, around his fireside, in the presence of his family, or just with him and his loving and beloved wife, can best testify to the foregoing.

Nowhere, and in no better way has all the things herein related been demonstrated and substantiates, than at his funeral ceremonies, given in the Chase Chapel by Tipton Lodge of the Masonic Fraternity, July 22, 1935.

That gathering was one of the most cosmopolitan that has ever assembled in a meeting of the character in the community. The high and the low, the rich and the poor, the learned and the unlearned were there. Not with a spirit of selfish curiosity, but simply to do honor to a man who had proven himself to be a friend and helper.

Doctor George Miller was born of German parentage in Washington township. Cass County, Indiana. August 7, 1873. And died July 19, 1935, from injuries received in an automobile accident the previous day.

He was a member of the Masonic and Eagles Lodges.

In consideration of the interest the Medical Profession of the State, his many friends and this family have in these declarations, we wold resolve: That a copy of this Memoriam be spread of record in the regular book of the Cass County Medical Ssociety: [sic]

That a copy be sent to local newspaper, and the Indiana State Medical Journal for publication, and to his wife, Mrs. Margaret Miller and family.

Respectfully submitted:

J. H. Reed Chairman'

J. A. Little

Will W. Holmes,


Approved by Cass County Medical Society, in called Sessions, this 24th day of July 1935

The Logansport Press Friday July 26, 1935; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte Flock flocks4@junct.com

Joseph H Grusenmeyer

Joseph H Grusenmeyer, aged seventy-one years, one of the best known farmers in Cass county, died Tuesday at the family home on the Burlington pike, one and one-half miles south of the city. Death was caused after a short illness of pneumonia. The deceased raised a large and creditable family, and is survived by a widow and the following children: Joseph G. Grusenmeyer, St. Bernardine, Cal.; Lizzie Grusenmeyer, city; Mrs. Peter Walz, Dayton, O.; George Grusenmeyer, city; Mrs. J . E. Friend, Fort Wayne, Ind.; Miss Mary Grusenmeyer, and Anthony Grusenmeyer, both of this city. The funeral will be held Saturday morning, at 9 o'clock from St. Bridget's Church, conducted by Rev. Father Quinn. Interment in Mt. St. Vincent cemetery.

Logansport Pharos Reporter Thursday April 2, 1914; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte Flock flocks4@junct.com

The funeral of Joseph Grusenmeyer will beheld tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock from St. Bridget's church, conducted by Rev. Father Quinn. Interment will be made in Mt. St. Vincent.

Logansport Pharos Reporter Fri Apr 3 1914; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com

George Grahs

Last evening at 8:15 o'clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs Fred G, Drompp, 100 Eel River Ave., death came to the aged father, George Grahs who had been in feeble health for more than a year.

Deceased was born in Negenborn Germany, December 20, 1829, came to America in 1852 and settled in Cincinnati; Ohio where he was united in marriage, Sept. 6, 1855 to Miss Anna Rosenbush, who died five years ago. This union was blessed with five children, one dying in infancy and his daughter, Mrs Ferdinand Grass died four years ago. He is also survived by two sons John Grahs of Union City and Henry Grahs of this city.

In 1909, after the death of his wife in Union City, he came to Logansport and made his home, with his daughter, Mrs Fred G. Drompp, where he was well cared for. A short house services will he held at the home of Mr. Fred. Drompp, on Eel River Ave., and then his remains will be taken to Union City, Ind., where they will be interred by the side of his wife. The time of the house services here will be announced later, most likely they will beheld tomorrow afternoon at 5 o'clock.

Logansport Pharos Reporter Fri Apr 3 1914

Mary Jane Davis

The funeral of Mrs. Mary Jane Davis was held this morning from the Brethren church on the North Side, conducted by the pastor, Rev-Charles Oberlin. Interment was made in the cemetery at Anoka

Logansport Pharos Reporter Fri Apr 3 1914

Mrs. Mary Grusenmeyer

Mrs. Mary Grusenmeyer, 73 years old, widow of the late Joseph Grusenmeyer, died yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the residence in Burlington Avenue tow miles south of the city. Mrs. Grusenmeyer had lived in this locality for the past 47 years and was widely known. The was the mother to the Grusenmeyer Brothers, hardware.

Mrs. Grusenmeyer is survived by three sons, Joseph G., of Galifornia, and George A. and Anthony of this city; four daughters, Mrs. Eliabeth Wilds, Richmond, West Va.; Mrs. Peter Waltz, Dayton, Ohio; Mrs. Joseph Friend, Ft. Wayne; and Miss Mary Grusenmeyer of this city.

Funeral arrangements will be announced later

Logansport Morning Press Aug 19, 1923 ; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com

James F. Logan

James F. Logan 67, died yesterday morning at 4:30 at his home in Galveston. He is survived by the widow, three sons, Harry of Royal Center, Earl and Lee at home; one daughter, Nancy A. Babb of Walton.

The funeral will be held this afternoon at the Methodist church in Galveston conducted by Rev. Kirby. Interment will be in the Galveston cemetery.

Logansport Morning Press Aug 19, 1923

Mrs Margaret Bower

The funeral of Mrs. Margaret Bower was held yesterday afternoon at the home at 2020 George street, conducted by Rev. U. S. Hartley of the Wheatland avenue M. E. Church Interment was in a crypt in the mausoleum at Mt. Hope cemetery.

Logansport Morning Press Aug 19, 1923

Joseph Grusenmeyer

Joseph Grusenmeyer, one of the old and respected citizens in this county, died this morning at the family residence on the Southside, of old age. He was born in the village of Dieffenbach, in lower Alsace, August 4, 1814, was nearly 99 years old, and came to this country in 1843, when 20 years old.

Logansport Chronicle Feb 1, 1896; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com

Joseph Grusenmeyer Dies of old Age At his Southside Home.

Joseph Grusenmeyer, aged 81, died at his home on the Southside yesterday morning of old age. He was one of the oldest residents of the city, having come here in 1852. He was born in Alsace and came to this country in 1843. He was a blacksmith by trade and kept a shop just across the river for more than twenty-five years. He had always been a highly respected and upright man, and had a host of friends. He was at one time a member of the city council and later was assessor of Eel township. He leaves a widow and four children - John, Sarah, Caroline, and Josephine, all of whom are married. The funeral will occur Saturday morning at 9 o'clock at St. Joseph church. The services will be conducted by the Rev Father Kochne.

Logansport Journal Thursday Morning Jan 29, 1896; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com


Of Mrs. Mary Grusemeyer, of the Southside Yesterday Morning, by Drowning in the Wabash River. Her Mind Supposed to Have Been Deranged by Business Complications.

Mrs. Mary Grusenmeyer, of the Southside, widow of Joseph Grusenmeyer, who died January 29th suicide early yesterday morning by drowning in the Wabash river. Her mind is supposed to have been deranged by business complications arising from the settlement of her husband's estate.

Mrs. Grusenmeyer resided on Burlington avenue with Caroline Artzner, daughter of her second husband. Miss Artzner sates that she heard Mrs. Grusenmeyer go down stairs at about 2 o'clock in the morning and unbolt the back door. She lay awake for a time and finally coming to the conclusion that the old lady had gone to visit Mrs. Homburg, a neighbor, whose daughter is very low with consumption, went to sleep again. About 7 o'clock she got up and went down stairs she found the back door standing open and a lamp burning on the mantle. Although some-what astonished she made no inquiry concerning Mrs. Houburg until John Douglass came along and told her that the body of an aged woman had been discovered in the Wabash river opposite Keiser's blacksmith shop, near the south end of the bridge. By this time the entire neighborhood was aroused, but on one in the crowd that gathered after the body had been taken from the water, identified it as that of Mrs. Grusnemeyer. Coroner Downey then directed Kroger & Strain to take charge of the body and not until it had been removed to their undertaking establishment was it fully identified, and then only by Mr. Anthony Grusenmeyer, who had been summoned form the services at St. Joseph's church.

The supposition is that after leaving her home the deceased passed down through the alley to the river at the rear of Kelser's shop and deliberately drowned herself. At no point in that locality in the water more than three feet deep which makes her suicide all the more astonishing. After death her body probably drifted to the point where found. Only her face was visible to Otis Shepard and Charles Arnold who made the Shocking discovery.

The deceased was an estimable lady and a general, favorite in the neighborhood in which she lived. She was 70 years of age, and leaves but one child, Mrs. Zimmerman, wife of Hon. Valentine Zimmerman of Rochester, Her first husband's name was Newhart. After his death here forty years ago she removed to Akron, Fulton county, Ind., where she was married to Artzen. She married Mr. Joseph Grusenmeyer ten years ago. He left her a life lease on the residence property and a third interest in a farm. She expressed an opposition to the provisions of the will, preferring to have a third of all the property, and constant worry over the matter is believed to have dethroned her reason. She is known to have acted strangely for a month or more.

Coroner Downey will return a verdict to the effect that the deceased suicided by drowning.

The funeral will be held at 9 a. m. Wednesday from the St. Joseph church, Rev Father Kochne officiating. Interment will be made in Mt. St. Vincent Cemetery.

Logansport Pharos Monday Evening April 27, 1896; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com

Mrs. Mary Grusenmeyer

Peace in Death
Mrs Mary Grusenmeyer Lays Down Her Burden of Life
Was a Tragic Suicide
At Three-Score and Ten Her Troubles Were More Than She Could Bear

The body of Mrs Mary Grusenmeyer was found lying in the Wabash river, about fifteen feet from the South bank and three or four hundred feet above the Burlington avenue bridge, at an early hour Sunday morning. The starting discovery was made by Dan Douglass who was walking along the bank of the river and saw an object lying almost submerged at a shallow place in the water. He made a closer inspection and found to his horror that what had at first seemed but a bundle of some kind was a woman's body. Mr. Douglasss did not attempt to take the body from the water but at once notified the police, and within a few minutes a small crowd collected at the spot and the dead woman was taken out and carried to the undertaking establishment of Kroegler & Strain, there being no one present who could identify the remains.

Coroner Downey was notified at once and viewed the body, making a close examination for marks of external violence. There were no bruises nor marks of any sort to be found and it is certain that death was caused by drowning, and that it was the dead woman's intention to end her life in that way, as the water at no place in the vicinity is more than three feet deep. All the circumstances taken together indicated that she deliberately waded out into the river, probably at a point near the bridge on Burlington avenue, and there laid down3 and allowed her lungs to fill with water. The face was not drawn nor contorted as is usually the case where death is violent and painful. On the contrary her features bore a peaceful expression as thought she had simply sunk to sleep, with never a though of death.

Deceased was past seventy years of age, and lived at 308 Burlington avenue, her step-daughter, Miss Caroline Artzner, a child of her second husband, living with her. There are circumstances connected with Mrs. Grunsenmeyer's life in the past few months which strengthen the belief that she had thought well of the step she was taking and sought relief from the troubles which assailed her in a watery grave. Some three months since her husband, Joseph Grusenmeyer, died, leaving a small estate in which his widow was given it life interest in the residence property where she lived, and a third interest in the proceeds of a farm. This disposition of the property did not suit the widow, who brought guit to break the will and have the court set off to her a third interest in the estate as allowed by law where no will, is made. Since her husband's death this trouble has weighed upon her and she has been subject to sleeplessness and its of melancholia which it is thought induced her to end her existence as she did.

At the coroner's inquest held yesterday afternoon it developed that sometime during the night, Saturday night Mrs. Grusenmeyer left her bed unknown to her stepdaughter, who awoke about 2 o'clock Sunday morning to find her gone. Miss Artzner supposed her stepmother had been attacked by one of her spells of sleeplessness and had gone down-stairs to sit up for a time, and as she had frequently done this before she thought nothing of the matter. About 7 o'clock Sunday morning Miss Artzner arose and on going down-stairs found the back door open and a lamp on the mantle lighted She still did not think much of her stepmother's absence as she was in the habit of going to a neighbor's during the night to sit up with the sick daughter of Mrs. Homburg, the neighbor. When informed by Mr. Douglass of the finding of the body in the river, she became convinced that something was wrong, and being afraid to go to the undertaking establishment to identify the remains, Anthony Grusenmeyer was sent for, and when he saw the body identified it as that of his stepmother.

Mrs. Grusenmeyer was well thought of in the neighborhood in which she lived and her tragic death shocked the entire community. She leaves but one child, a daughter, Mrs Valentine of Rochester. The Funeral will beheld at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning from the St. Joseph church, the Rev. Father Koehue conducting the services interment will be made in Mt. St. Vincent.

Logansport Journal Tuesday Morning April 28, 1896; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com

Funeral of James Kies

The funeral of James Kies, held at 10 a. m. from the Evangelical church, yesterday, was in charge of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen, The sermon was preached by Rev. Snyder. The cortege was one of the largest ever seen in the city. The music was by the Military band. The remains were interred in Mt. Hope Cemetery.

Logansport Pharos Monday Evening April 27, 1896

Mrs Clara Kline
Death of Mrs. Toler Kline.

The remains of Mrs. Clara Kline, nee Mehaffie, who died while en route from a point in Colorado to Kansas City, of consumption, arrived here at 12:30 this afternoon and were taken direct to the Mefaffie home on High street. The time of the funeral will be announced tomorrow.

The decease was the wife of Toler A. Kline, the well-known printer, and was at one time a popular teacher in the Logansport public schools. Besides her husband she leaves a daughter eight years of age. Her untimely death is deeply deplored…………….

[There could be more to this article]

Logansport Pharos Monday Evening April 27, 1896

Death of Mrs. Wright

Jennie, wife of William T. Wright, died at 11:30 a. m. yesterday at the family residence, 1418 Market Street, of consumption, aged 38 years. The funeral will beheld at 2:30 p. m. tomorrow from the residence, and will be in charge of the Rathbone Sisters, of which she was a member. Interment will be made in Mt. Hope Cemetery.

Logansport Pharos Monday Evening April 27, 1896

Mary Ann Grusenmeyer

The Journal to-day records two more visits of the destroying angel. Sunday night about 11 o'clock Mrs. Joseph Grusenmeyer died at her residence on the South Side. On the 19th inst. She was stricken down with paralysis, and since then it had only been a question of time when death would release her. Mrs Grusenmeyer had lived in this city with her husband nearly thirty years. She was a kind neighbor, and all those who knew her will John with her afflicted family in mourning her death

She will be buried this morning at 9 o'clock from the St. Joseph Catholic Church.

Logansport Daily Journal Tuesday Morning July 29, 1880; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com

Frank Bruggaman

Frank Bruggaman has been for months a sufferer from consumption, and Sunday afternoon closed his eyes upon all things earthly. Frank was a young man who counted his friends by scores. He leaves a wife and family behind him. His funeral will take place this morning from St. Vincent de Paul Church.

Logansport Daily Journal Tuesday Morning July 29, 1880

A Terrible Accident
A Nine-Year old son of Mr. A. Grusenmeyer Run Over by the Cars and Killed

A fearful accident occurred Sunday evening about six o'clock on Railroad street where the gas works switch crosses the sidewalk. Mr. Anthony Grusenmeyer and his little son, Joseph, were walking along the street near the above mentioned place while some trainmen were engaged in switching cars on the gas switch. Mr. Grusenmeyer held his boy by the hand and stopped a moment near the railroad, while the cars were passing by. During this time the little fellow's hat blew off and was carried toward the running cars. The boy broke quickly away from the father and ran to get his hat, approaching so close to the car that he was struck by it and thrown under the wheels. The father run at once to his assistance but was too late to save him. The wheels had passed over the boy's legs above the knees before the father could drag him from the track, mangled in a fearful manner. Mr. Grusenmeyer was struck by the car himself as he stooped over to rescue the boy but fortunately did not receive serious injury. The injured lad was once taken to the office of Dr. B. C. Stevens where everything possible was done to relieve his sufferings, but he died at the doctor's office in about an hour after the accident occurred. The accident is a most distressing one and the parents, in their said bereavement, have the sympathy of the community.

This switch is a most dangerous one at best. A few moments after the above accident Dr. J. H. Shultz who attempted to cross the track in his buggy came very near being caught by a passing train, and we have heard complaints from another sources that would warrant the necessity for some steps of safety. Either switchman should be placed there or some other arrangements made at that point.

Logansport Pharos Tuesday April 28, 1881; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com

Joseph Valentine Grusenmeyer

A Horrible Death
The Nine Year Old Son of Anthony Grusenmeyer Killed Before His Father's Eyes

Sunday evening about 6 o'clock a heartrending accident occurred on Canal Street near Michael Wagner's Saloon, by which Joseph Valentine, the nine year old son of Mr. Anthony Grusenmeyer, of the South Side, received injuries which resulted in death an hour later. Mr. G. and his son had been visiting a sick relative and were returning homeward. A freight train blockaded the sidewalk at its intersection with the switch leading to the gas works and Thompson's coal yard. They had been delayed some ten or fifteen minutes and had determined to wait until the train pulled out, when the father's attention was attracted by some one passing an he temporarily lost sight of his boy. A moment later the train started and Mr. G. was attracted by a cry from little Joseph and quickly turning he saw at glance the lad's precarious condition. The latter in one of the fainting spells to which he was subject had fallen with his head toward and almost against the track. The rails at this point are sunk several inches below the surface and it’s the cars backed the boy's head was caught and wedged between the ground and the grease box attached to the car wheel, tearing off a piece of the scalp half as large as a man's hand. The father ran to the rescue, but before he could pull the boy away the latter had half arisen to his fee and fallen across the rail. His father seized him by the shoulders, but ere he could draw him out the next car heavily loaded with lumber passed over both legs, the right one above the knee, the left one below the knee mangling them in the most horr-manner. Mr. G. picked the dying boy up in his arms and carried him to Dr. Stevens' office, where he expired about an h our later.

The parents were driven: well high to distraction at the shocking accident and the sympathy of a large circle of friends will be extended them in their bereavement. Coroner Fansler viewed the remains yesterday and will hold an inquest a 10' o'clock this morning at St. Joseph's Catholic church.

Daily Journal Logansport Tuesday Morning April 24, 1881; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte Flock flocks4@junct.com

William A. Miller

Services for William A. Miller, 65, of 1408 Smead street, will be held at 9 a. m. Friday at the St. Joseph church with the Rev. Father Jeldo Schlavone officiating.

Burial will be in St. Vincent cemetery. Friends may call at the Kroeger funeral home, where the Eagles will hold services at 7:30 p. m. Thursday.

Logansport Pharos-Tribune Sept 24, 1952; Transcribed and submitted by Charlotte E Flock flocks4@junct.com

Charles Nelson Funkhauser

Funeral rites for Charles Nelson Funkhauser, 71, of 19 Mildred street, will be held at 2 p. m. Friday at the Chase-Miller chapel with the Rev. Ernest Carroll officiating. Burial will be in Mount Hope cemetery.

Logansport Pharos-Tribune Sept 24, 1952


Evelyn V. McConkey,76, Chase Center, a former resident of 2626 George St., died at 10:17 a.m. Tuesday in Memorial Hospital.

She was born May 11, 1907, in Ray, N.D., to O'Less and Clara Huff Alspach. She was married to Fred E. McConkey, who died in 1961.

She was a retired employee of the Memorial Hospital housekeeping department.

She was a member of the Church of the Nazarene.

Surviving are one daughter, Joy Sprinkle, 1218 North St., three brothers, Raymond, Tillamook, Ore., Leslie, Sandpoint, Idaho, and Ernest, New Zealand; four sisters, Myrtle Hammon, Montana, Donna Pearson, California, Irma Hove, North Dakota, and Grace Johnson, Sandpoint, Idaho; four grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

Services will be at 1 p.m. Friday in Kroeger Funeral Home, with the Rev. Horace Smith officiating. Burial will be in Leiters Ford Cemetery.

Friends may call from 11 a.m. until the service Friday.

Logansport IN newspaper died Nov 1983; Transcribed and submitted by Sallie Lou Morris Nelson gentenmawps@juno.com


Mrs. Esther L. Hildebrandt, 52, wife of Russell T. Hildebrandt and a former resident of this city, died at 11:30 last night at the Mercy Hospital in Gary.

The daughter of Clarence E. and Elma Jones Gill, she was a native of Bradford, Ohio.

Survivors are the husband: two daughters, Mrs. Elileen Roth and Mrs. Ann Olsen, both of Gary, two grandchildren, 5 brothers, Faye E. Gill, city; Clyde C., Detroit; Merrill R., Gary; Charles J., Chicago; Joseph Y.city, and five sisters: Mrs. Edward P. Kinzig, Columbus, Ohio; Mrs. Raymond Orr, Hollywood, Fl.; Mrs. Walter Daggott, La Grange, Il.; and Mrs. Robert Bogley, Chicago.

The body will arrive here Thursday morning and will be taken to the Kroeger funeral home where friends may call. Rites will be at 9 o'clock Friday morning at the St. Joseph Church, Msg. M. J. Aichinger officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Hope Cemetery.

Logansport IN Pharos Tribune June 14,1949 front page; Transcribed and submitted by Sallie Lou Morris Nelson [my great aunt] gentenmawps@juno.com


Russell T. Hildebrandt, 67, of 124 Eel River Av., was dead on arrival at 3:20 p.m. Monday at St. Joseph Hospital. His death followed a long illness.

Born Oct 23, 1896 in Logansport, he was the son of C. J. and Anna S. Farrell Hildebrandt. He was a construction electrician.

Survivors include two daughters: Mrs. Eileen Roth of South Bend and Mrs. Ann Olsen of Gary, and three grandchildren.

His wife, Esther, and a sister, Mrs. Mary Kay-Dolly- Dahn preceded him in death. He was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church.

Funeral rites will be held at 9 a.m. Thursday at the St. Joseph Catholic Church with Msg. Maurice Foley officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Hope Cemetery.

The Rosary will be recited at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Kroeger funeral home. Friends may call at the funeral home after 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Logansport IN Pharos Tribune July 7, 1964 pg 11; Transcribed and submitted by Sallie Lou Morris Nelson [great uncle] gentenmawps@juno.com

html by
Debby Beheler

Return to In The News Index