How Young America Got Its Name
Article from the Kokomo Tribune July 9, 1957 page 3
Young America Cemetery
Article by Joe Young
Just 11 miles west of Galveston on Ind. 18 and
over the Howard County line, lies Young America, an unincorporated town
in Deer Creek Township that has remained small and peaceful for more
than 100 years.
Nestled among some of Indiana's larger
farms, this small Cass County town -- which declined any centennial
celebration last year -- is just a grove of trees when viewed from the
Many people wonder how the town of some 300
came to be called Young America. How has it remained a tranquil country
town for over a century? Few residents of the town or the county know.
According to Ollie Austin Cummins, oldest living male resident of the community, Young America was named this way.
In 1856, Thomas Henry built a saw mill in a
community of a few cabins and farms. One day when some machinery
arrived for the mill several townsmen gathered to help unload it.
A nameplate on one of the engines,
designating either the engine or model "Young America" was noticed. One
of the helping hands suggested that was a good name for the community.
Two-third of the workmen agreed and called their town Young America.
The original molded nameplate was removed
and kept as a memento until recent years. But it is now believed to
have ended up in a junk pile and is probably lost forever now.
FIRST POST OFFICE
Young America wasn't officially established
though until 1865 when the first post office was set up. Mail was first
brought to Young America three times a week by "hack" -- a type of
horse drawn buggy.
Before the post office was organized, James
G. Johnson, who was later named the town's first postmaster and
remained so for 30 years, had a ride to Poplar Grove for the mail. At
present Young America has a fourth-class post office and mail is
brought in from Galveston.
The town has remained tranquil over the
years because it has been "just off the beaten path" and has never had
a railroad or interurban. The main center-of-town crossroad is a
junction of Ind. 18 and the Poplar Grove north-south road.
FOOD AND GRAIN MILL
A feed and grain mill is Young America's only large business operation. The town has no industry.
At one time flour was made at the mill but
today its main business is griding grain, shipping and selling
supplies. Wheat, corn, oats and peas are ground and shipped to Chicago
and soybeans are also received. Other businesses in town include two
food stores, two restaurants, three filling stations and two garages.
CHURCHES AND LODGES
The Baptist, Christian, and Diciples are
the three churches in Young America and they have services every
Sunday. Lodges are the Eastern Star, Rebekah and Pythian Sisters for
women and the Masons and Knights of Pythias for men.
Young America's active Lions Club has been
responsible for the town's getting street lights and a new fire truck.
Before the purchase of the new fire truck, Young America depended
completely on Galveston and Walton for fire protection.
There are some 110 students in the high school, including the two junior high grades 7-8.
In a century the town population has increased only from less than 100 to approximately 300.
The main crossroad at the center of town -- with light traffic and free from cluttered parked cars --
is shown during regular business hours and is one of the reasons this little town remains so peaceful.Photo taken in town of Young America. Ross Harris is one of the men. The wagon and harness shop is in the background.
Links to: Cass Co. INGenWeb;
Cass Co. Cemetery List;
Cass Co., Deer Creek Twp. Cemetery Locator Map;
Created 04 December 1998 Updated 3 April 2011
© 1998-2011 Debra L Beheler
USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free
information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial
entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These
electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other
presentation without permission of the author. This notice must be
included on any reproduction.