Howard County Indiana USGenWeb
13th Indiana Regiment Infantry -
Roster - 13th
Infantry: Company E
- Organized at Indianapolis, Ind., for one year's
service May, 1861,
but reorganized for three years and mustered in June 19, 1861.
- Left State for West Virginia July 4. Attached to
Rosecrans' Brigade, McClellan's Army of West Virginia, July 1861. 1st
- Army of Occupation, West Virginia, to September,
1861. Reynolds' Cheat Mountain Brigade, West Virginia, to November,
- Milroy's Command, Cheat Mountain District, W. Va.,
to January, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, Landers' Division, to March, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, Shields' 2nd Division, Banks' 5th Army
Corps and Dept. of the Shenandoah to May, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, Shields' Division, Dept. of the
Rappahannock, to July, 1862.
- Ferry's 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 4th Army Corps,
Army of the Potomac, to September, 1862.
- Ferry's Brigade, Division at Suffolk, Va., 7th Army
Corps, Dept. of Virginia, September, 1862.
- Foster's Provisional Brigade, Division at Suffolk,
7th Army Corps, to April, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 7th Army Corps, to July,
- 1st Brigade, Vogdes' Division, Folly Island, S.C.,
10th Army Corps, Dept. of the South, to January. 1864.
- 1st Brigade, Vogdes Division, Folly Island, S.C.,
Northern District, Dept. of the South, to February, 1864.
- 1st Brigade, Vogdes' Division, District of Florida,
to April, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 10th Army Corps, Army of
the James, Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina, to May, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 18th Army Corps, to June,
- 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 10th Army Corps, to
- 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 24th Army Corps, to
- 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, Terry's Provisional
Corps, Dept. of North Carolina, to March, 1865.
- 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 10th Army Corps, Dept. of
North Carolina, to September, 1865.
- Campaign in West Virginia July 7-17, 1861. Battle of
July 11. Moved to Beverly July 13, thence to Cheat Mountain Pass.
Operations on Cheat Mountain September 11-17. Cheat Mountain Pass
- Greenbrier River October 3-4. Scouting Expedition
through the Kanawha District October 29-November 7.
- Expedition to Camp Baldwin December 11-14. Action at
Allegheny December 13. Moved to Green Springs Run December 18, and duty
there till March, 1862.
- Skirmishes at Bath, Hancock, Great Cacapon Bridge,
Alpine Station and Sir John's Run January 1-4.
- Advance on Winchester, Va., March 5-15. Kernstown
March 22. Battle of Winchester March 23.
- Occupation of Mt. Jackson April 17.
- Summerville Heights May 7. March to Fredericksburg
May 12-21, and return to Front Royal May 25-30.
- Battle of Port Republic June 9. Moved to the
Peninsula, Va., June 29-July 2.
- At Harrison's Landing till August 16. Moved to
Fortress Monroe August 16-23,
thence to Suffolk, Va., August 30, and duty there till June 27, 1863.
- Reconnoissance to Franklin on the Blackwater October
3, 1862. Franklin October 3.
- Zuni Minor's Ford December 12.
- Expedition toward Blackwater January 8-10, 1863.
Action at Deserted House January 30.
- Leesville April 4. Siege of Suffolk April 12-May 4.
Church and Somerton Roads April 13. Suffolk April 17. Edenton Road
April 24. Siege of Suffolk raised May 4.
- Foster's Plantation May 20.
- Dix's Peninsula Campaign June 24-July 7.
- Expedition from White House to South Anna Bridge
South Anna Bridge July 4. Moved to Folly Island, S.C., July 28-August
- Siege operations against Fort Wagner, Morris Island
and against Fort Sumpter and Charleston, S.C., till February, 1864.
- Capture of Forts Wagner and Gregg September 7, 1863.
- Stationed at Folly Island October, 1863, to
February, 1864. Reenlisted December, 1863.
- Moved to Jacksonville, Fla., February 23, 1864, and
till April 17. Ordered to Hilton Head, S.C.; thence to Gloucester
- Butler's operations on Southside of the James River
against Petersburg and Richmond, Va., May 4-28. Occupation of Bermuda
Hundred May 5. Port Walthal Junction May 6-7. Swift Creek May 9-10.
Operations against Fort Darling May 12-16. Battle of Drury's Bluff May
14-16. Bermuda Hundred May 16-28. Moved to White House, thence to Cold
Harbor May 28-June 1.
- Battles about Cold Harbor June 1-12; before
15-18. Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond June 16, 1864,
to December 6, 1864.
- Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30, 1864.
- Non-Veterans left front June 19. Mustered out June
- Demonstration north of the James at Deep Bottom
August 13-20. Battle of Strawberry Plains August 14-18.
- Chaffin's Farm, New Market Heights, September 28-30.
- Battle of Fair Oaks October 27-28.
- Detached duty at New York City during Election of
1864 November 4-17.
- Expedition to Fort Fisher, N. C., December 7-27.
- 2nd Expedition to Fort Fisher, N. C., January 3-15,
1865. Assault and capture of Fort Fisher January 15.
- Town Creek February 19-20. Capture of Wilmington
- Campaign of the Carolinas March 1-April 26. Advance
on Goldsboro March
6-21. Occupation of Goldsboro March 21.
- Advance on Raleigh April 10-14. Occupation of
Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House
April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army.
- Duty at various points in North Carolina till
September. Mustered out September 5,
Regiment lost during service 3 Officers and 104
Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 146
Enlisted men by disease. Total 255.