Howard County Indiana USGenWeb
89th Indiana Regiment Infantry - Regiment History
Courtesy of http://www.civilwarindiana.com
89th Infantry - Company D Muster Roll
89th Infantry - Company F Muster Roll
89th Infantry - Company G Muster Roll
Organized at Indianapolis, Ind., and mustered in August 28, 1862.
Left State for Louisville, Ky., thence moved to Munfordsville, Ky., September 2.
Siege of Munfordsville September 14-17.
Regiment captured September 17 and paroled. March to Brandenburg, thence to Jeffersonville, Ind.
Duty at Indianapolis, Ind., saw June 27.
Ruff's Station July 4.
Chattahoochie December 5-8.
Attached to District of Memphis, Tenn., 16th Army Corps, Dept. of the Tennessee, to March, 1863.
1st Brigade, District of Memphis, Tenn., 5th Division, 16th Army Corps, to January, 1864. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 16th Army Corps, to December, 1864.
1st Brigade, 2nd Division (Detachment), Army of the Tennessee, Dept. of the Cumberland, to February, 1865.
1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 16th Army Corps (New), Military Division West Mississippi, to July, 1865.
- Guard and fatigue duty at Fort Pickering, Memphis, Tenn., December 21, 1862, to October 18, 1863.
- Expedition to Hernando, Miss., August 16-20, 1863.
- Garrison and picket duty at Memphis, Tenn., till January 26, 1864.
- Expedition after Forest December 24-31, 1863. Lafayette and
Grierson's Bridge December 27 (Detachment). Moscow December 27
- Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., January 26-31, 1864.
- Big Black River February 2. Meridian Campaign February
3-March 2. Queen Hill February 4. Meridian February 14-15. Decatur
- Red River Campaign March 10-May 22. Fort DeRussy March 14.
Occupation of Alexandria March 16. Henderson's Hill March 21. Battle of
Pleasant Hill April 9. Fort Bisland April 12.
Natchitoches April 20-21. At Alexandria April 26 May 13. Bayou LaMouri
May 7. Retreat to Morganza May 13-20. Mansura May 16. Yellow Bayou May
- Moved to Vicksburg May 20-24, and to Memphis, Tenn., June 4-9. Old River Lake or Lake Chicot, Ark., June 6.
- Smith's Expedition to Tupelo, Miss., July 5-21. Harrisburg, near Tupelo, July 14-15.
- Smith's Expedition to Oxford, Miss., August 1-30. Moved to
Jefferson Barracks, Mo., September 8-19. Expedition to DeSoto September
- March through Missouri in pursuit of Price October
2-November 19. Greenton November 1. Moved to Nashville, Tenn., November
25-December 1. Battle of Nashville December 15-16. Pursuit of Hood to
the Tennessee River December 17-28.
- Moved to Eastport, Miss., January 1, 1865, and duty there till February 9.
- Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., thence to New Orleans, La.,February 9-21.
- Campaign against Mobile and its defences March 17-April 12.
Siege of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely March 26-April 9. Assault and
capture of Fort Blakely April 9. Occupation of Mobile April 12.
- March to Montgomery April 13-27, and duty there till June 1.
- Moved to Mobile June 1 and duty there till July 19.
- Mustered out July 19, 1865.
Losses Regiment lost during service 6 Officers and 55
Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 188
Enlisted men by disease. Total 252.