Ninth Street Cemetery


SOURCE:   Cass Co Cemetery History from Jehu Powell's 1913 History of Cass Co.

This is the oldest cemetery in Cass county and is situated between Ninth, Tenth, Erie avenue and Spear streets (in Logansport). General Tipton donated the ground in 1828 when it was covered and surrounded by forest trees. He, however, never executed a deed and his administrator represented by Chauncey Carter as commissioner appointed by the court, conveys three and fifty-two one hundredths acres of land to the city of Logansport as a grave yard and burial ground. The ground was appraised at $45.00 and the city paid that amount February 16, 1846. (Rec. F, page 252.) On September 29, 1846, Chauncey Carter, as surveyor, plats the ground by direction of the city council.

The first interment is said to be a child of William Smith that died in 1828, in the cabin of Daniel Bell, that stood just south of the cemetery.

A-F | G-L | M-R | S-Z

Ninth Street Cemetery Index
Submitted by
Deb Rush March 2001 from a list compiled in 1999 for Billman's Monuments
HTML by Debby Beheler
Links to: Cass
/Co. INGenWeb;
Cass Co. Cemetery List;
INGenWeb , or USGenWeb
Visit the Miami/Cass Indiana Pioneer Cemetery Restoration Project

USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation.