less than three-quarters of a mile west of the
Sometimes called the New, or
This cemetery is approximately 2 ½ miles S.W.
of the City of
Cemetery is about 200 feet east of the S.W. corner of the
S.E. quarter of
the S.W. quarter of Section Three (3) of Congressional Township 26
Range One East, of the Second Indiana Principal Meridian; and is one
of the grounds of the Logansport State Hospital.
It is on the North side of an E-W county highway which
section 3 from section 10, and about 175 feet east of a N-S county
here runs just east of the N-S midline of the west half of said section
Headed southwestward from
Approximately 150 feet W.S.W of cemetery but across the
E.W. road from
it, is the unused brick building of the old Ebenezer Lutheran Church
1876, and abandoned in about 1894), which church, however, had no
connection with this cemetery, though, even after the church was
regular Sunday worship-services, the church was sometimes used for
persons laid to rest in this cemetery. (This should not be confused
with the old
This beautiful and well-kept “lawn
cemetery” is bounded on the south
by the E-W county highway (from which it is separated by a sturdy
woven-wire fence); on the west by a cultivated field; and on the north
the east by a beautiful, grassy, but not very deep hollow of a tiny
wide) spring-fed stream (which flows eastward and then southward).
Following the burial here during the early
1870’s of a few persons, and
finally, on about Christmas Day of 1875, of the owner, Mr. George
latter’s son, Abraham Shideler. Formally opened this
beautifully situated plot
of ground for use as a public cemetery.
George Shideler, who had been a Pennsylvanian of German
descent, and his
wife Elizabeth (Neff) Shideler, a Virginian, were the parents of nine
including the previously mentioned Abraham, (who is considered the
this cemetery), and Isaac, the latter of whom was quite widely known in
fraternal (e.g., Masonic) and commercial circles at Logansport, the
city, which is only a mile northeast of this old Shideler farm. (See
History of Cass County, Indiana,” published 1886).
The following report of names, dates, and certain other
data of interest
appearing on markers in this Shideler Cemetery, has been carefully
is believed to be not only as complete as is possible at this date
1941), but also accurate. It is respectfully submitted to the
request of, and in accordance with instructions issued by, the
VALLEY MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION,
This report was input by Sadie Cunningham, September 2006 for the Cass County INGenWeb Site. Photos taken 9 November 2006 by Debby Beheler. Additional information may be submitted to Debby Beheler, Please include Shideler - Cass Co in the subject line.