Skinner or Twelve Mile Cemetery L'ANGUILLE Memorial Association- Logansport, Indiana 1942

A-H | I-M | N-Z


This Cemetery is two miles or more east of the town of Twelve Mile, Indiana, in Northeastern Cass County, in Northcentral Indiana. It is near the east edge of Adams Township and is less than half a mile west of the Miami county Line. It is a quarter of a mile or less south of the Indiana State Road Highway 16 { the Monon - to - Huntington road}. It is about fifteen miles northeast of our county - seat of fractional SECTION 22, to T. 28 N., R. 3 E., Second P. M. {Indiana}. This section is spoken of as being "Fractional" because, for some reason or other, it seems to be not quite the orthodox or standard width.

Situated at least partly on land said to have been verbally charitably set aside for burial-purposes by land owner James Reed in the early days of the settlement of this township, this cematery was named for "Thomas Skinner" , a War of 1812 veteran, who was a pioneer settler of this locality, and was an active charter member of the "New Light" Christian Church. { See Powell: "History of Cass County, Indiana ," v. 1. pp.469 and 473.}

This cemetery is often regarded as being {not one cemetery but} actually TWO cemeteries, the Old cemetery and the New cemetery. The Old is south, and the New is north, of the present edifice of the Twelve Mile {unreadable} church, commonly known as the Twelve Mile Christian [ or New Light Christian Church, and quite often known as simply the "Skinner Church".

On request of the L'ANGUILLE VALLEY MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION, historical unit at the county seat of Logansport, fieldwork for the ensuing report was done during the fall of 1941 by three interested volunteer workers, namely:

Dr. Walter Skinner, of Fulton, Indiana,

Mrs. Ell {Skinner} Black and Mrs. Florence M. {Skinner} Black. {Two sisters who married brothers surnamed Black} , Both of Twelve Mile, Indiana:

and the following report is prepared fromo their original fieldnotes by Mrs Lucretia {Skinner} Whitmeyer, widely known Logansport city {schools} Attendance Officer.

Owing particularly to the Second World War, now diverting most of our attention from civilian matters, and especially in view of the unusually great distance of this cemetery from Logansport and of the inclemency of the Wintry weather, it is not, we regret to say , been found feasible to checking work of the originl three fieldworkers or to attempt any re-canvas of this rather large cemetery, instead of holding the report at Logansport until such time as a check {or re-canvas} might be made, we are forwarding the record to Indianapolis, though aware that a check re-canvas or check might bring additions and, no doubt, some corrections.

Users of this record should bear this in mind. They may of interest the foloowing fragments of supplementary information:

According to the late local historian Dr. J. E. Powell, the very earliest known interments in this more than a century old cemetery include:

Also Powell lists soldiers buried here at early dates as folows:

Transcribed by Clara J Miller for the Cass County INGenWeb Project.

Send additions and corrections to Debby.

Cemeteries of Cass County Indiana

Cass County INGenWeb Home