Columns of Will Ball
Logansport Press, Feb. 6, Feb. 13, Feb.
20, March 6, and March 13, 1949
Williamson Wright, one of the Logansport
early settlers, said in an address at the Old Settlers’ Picnic held on the
south side August 21, 1875, that the nearest mill first was at Terre Haute,
which was likely reached by way of the Wabash, although it is not likely that
anyone from the Mouth of the Eel ever went that far for grist; later a mill was
erected at Lafayette, then one at Delphi.
It was not long, though, until mills
were set up on the streams nearer at hand; first the sawmills to which, in a
short time, were added burhs for grinding wheat.
The first mill of any sort to be erected
in the boundary of Cass County, according to Thomas B. Helm, who came to
Logansport in 1836 and whose history of the county is generally acknowledged to
be authoritative, and to Williamson Wright, another pioneer who arrived in
1835, was a sawmill or rather two sawmills, one on either side of the Eel
River, both built by the same man at about the same time and both drawing power
from the same dam, which was located above what was then called the “Falls of
Eel River” in the neighborhood of 10th Street.
These mills and the dam were constructed
by Andrew Waymire for General John Tipton, who had moved the Indian Agency from
Ft. Wayne to Logansport just months before.
Before General Tipton brought the agency
to the “Mouth of the Eel”, the place was a small group of cabins in the dense
forest. The first, according to
reputable sources, was a trading post on the north side of the Wabash, where
the first George Seybold later built a pretentious home. This was erected by Edward McCartney, a
trader who had been outfitted by the firm of Walker and Davis at Ft.
Wayne. He remained only a short time,
perhaps not more than a year, going to Kosciusko County shortly after the
Treaty of 1826. The next cabin to be
built, although usually regarded as the first, was the tavern put up by
Alexander Chamberlain, on the south side of the Wabash on the ground now
occupied by Judge Wild’s home at 505 Cliff Drive. These were the only ones of which the writer
has direct knowledge.
After Tipton came, the little settlement
began to grow. Chauncey Carter, who had
known Tipton in Ft. Wayne, acquired the title to that part of the Cicott
Reserve lying between the rivers, upon which he laid out the little town in
April of 1828; Tipton bought the Chamberlain place to establish the Agency and
also started construction of his mills and the dam.
On Feb. 23, 1832, Waymire wrote to
Tipton, who was then U.S. Senator, of the troubles they were having. The Wabash had “dammed up” below Mr. Mure’s
mill and up to the door latch in his house and that he had to move to the hills
for a week. This is the only mention the
writer ever saw regarding Mure’s Mill.
The mills were damaged, according to the letter, and presumably they
were put into serves as soon as the dam was repaired.
In a letter a little later, Tiption
mentions a grist mill, so he had evidently added a “corn cracker” to one or
both of his sawmills. Still later he
mentions something about “cards” being installed so presumably a woolen mill
had been or was about to be, set up, as cards were used to comb out the fleece
preparatory to spinning.
The Forest (not Forrest) Mill which for
so long was a landmark at the south end of the 6th Street bridge,
was undoubtedly the first mill erected in what is now the city of Logansport
and very likely the first in the present boundary of Cass County. As related above, it was erected in 1828 by
Andrew Waymire for General John Tipton.
At that time, the city of Logansport did not exist. Tipton saw the coming of white settlers and
made ready to collect his share of gain.
Barred by law from directly dealing with his wards, he arranged to make
his dealing with those who could deal with them. Hence, his mills located on ground purchased
from Chauncey Carter adjoining the new town site on the east, for the town
ended at 5th Street. Carter
sold to Tipton all that part of Cicott Reserve at the Mouth of the Eel not
including the town site, perhaps 600 acres.
Tipton located the Forest Mill near the
boundary of the new town. That meant
digging a race nearly 1/3 of a mile long, for the dam, the Falls of Eel was
where 10th Street would intersect each other to the river bank. The other mill, crossing the river, seems to
have been a little further upstream.
Andrew Waymire, who built the mills,
seems to have been a very prominent citizen in the early days. He was married to Almida Mellon (Melton?) on
July 4, 1829, that being the third marriage solemnized in the community. His name does not appear in any other
documents later than 1832, examined by the writer.
The Forest Mill was first operated for
Tipton by Samuel Ward; the other, across the river, by Joseph Sellers. Ward remained in the community for a long
time. Sellers remained in the community
until the 70’s. He became the father of
a large family—one daughter and about ten sons.
He was a Revolutionary War veteran.
He was buried in Spring Creek Cemetery.
Forest Mill passed into the hands of
Hamilton and Taber after Tipton’s death in 1839. They operated it themselves or leased it to
others. One of those lessees, John
Forest, gave the mill its name. About
1846 it came into the hands of Beach and Cecil.
Beach sold his interest and the firm was known as George Cecil and
Company; later James Watson, a clerk for Cecil, bought an interest and the firm
became Cecil and Watson, under whose name it continued to operate the mill even
after it was sold to the city of Logansport which wanted the water power for
its new water works and after Cecil moved to New York to become the sales agent
for the product known as “Belmont Brand”.
For quite a long time, the output of the mill was 125 barrels a day.
After Wilson’s retirement, Edmund
Bucher, who had been head miller, took it over and ran it successfully until
1895 when it was torn down, the race filled in to 8th Street,
Bringhurst Street laid out and the lots sold for residences.
According to Helm’s History of Cass
County, there were, from about 1830 to 1845 or 1850, more than sixty mills in
the county. Many of these were both
sawmills and grist mills; many of them derived their power from the many small
streams tributary to the Eel or Wabash.
There were at least three on Twelve Mile Creek in Adams Township; Tick
Creek in Clay had several and Deer Creek, to the south, a much larger stream
than the other two, had perhaps six or eight.
Jefferson Township had ten, several of them built by Andrew Waymire, who
had built the two mills in Logansport for John Tipton.
It has been stated that power for the
mills was drawn from the canal but that could not have been very
satisfactory. In order to get the
necessary “head” or fall, would necessarily be located near a lock and the
passage of boats there must have interfered with the operation of the
mill. Such was the “Lock Mill” built on
the canal about where 7th Street would intersect it if it were
carried down the hill where the Hendricks property is now located. It was built about 1849 by John W. Wright and
had a rather checkered career for 25 or 30 years. It was abandoned about 1877.
In the early 1880’s a new company was
formed by J.N. Booth, a brother of Mrs. W.T. Giffe; John T. Obenchain, father
of Don Obenchain of the Standard Auto Parts; and S.B. Boyer, father of Mrs.
Frank Parker and Mrs. Tom Flanigan. They
fitted up the old mill with the latest of modern roller mill equipment,
installed steam power, and did a thriving business, mostly local, for 20 years
or so. Mr. Booth withdrew soon after the
business started, leaving the other two to carry on. They had two brands, “potent” and
“automatic”, “potent” being the better grade.
When this writer, in conversation with
an old time resident recently, mentioned the
mill race that used to flow down the street, he said “oh, you are
mistaken, the race was on the other side of the river”. True, there was a race on the other side of
the river, reaching from the old Uhl dam 100 yards or so west into the 3rd
Street Bridge to Uhl’s Empire Mills, just south of the Pennsylvania
tracks. Hundreds of local residents
remember that. It was filled in and a
row of houses built on the site when another dam was constructed further down
in the last century.
However, there was also a race east of
the river which followed the general course of the present street, extending
from the same dam to a point a little south of Market Street whence it returned
to the river through the water wheels of a saw mill operated for a time by
Joseph Uhl and James Cheney, grandfather of Mrs. Alice Keller and Allen
Nelson. Mr. Cheney came to Logansport
from Ft. Wayne in 1856 to establish a branch of the Indiana State Bank and was
its first cashier.
Joseph Uhl came to Cass County in 1852
and settled in Washington Township about two miles east of Logansport where he
built a flour mill which he operated until 1858 when he sold it and moved to
town. In 1859 he formed a partnership
with Mr. Cheney, erecting or taking over from former owners, the sawmill on the
east side. Mr. Uhl personally managed
the flour mill, leaving the direction of the sawmill to others, his son William
among the others. This son was killed in
the mill by a log rolling over him.
In 1863 Dennis Uhl, son of Joseph and
father of the late Walter Uhl and Misses Florence and Genevra Uhl and Mrs. A.P.
Flynn, became a partner. The firm then
became Uhl, Cheney and Company. Mr.
Cheney withdrew in a year or two, later moving to New York where he became a
prominent figure in banking circles. He
later settled in Ft. Wayne and died there in 1903. He is buried in Mt. Hope.
Dr. Powell makes the statement that the
mill was erected in the early 1840’s by T.H. Bringhurst and Richard Gormley and
that the machinery was shipped by sea from Philadelphia to New Orleans; up the
Mississippi and Ohio to Cincinnati; thence by canal to Toledo, then also by
canal to Logansport.
Uhl and Cheney were in charge of the
place from 1859 until the mid 1860’s when the partnership was dissolved. Cheney took the property east of the river as
his share. He disposed of the mill,
plotted the ground on which the race had run, which became known as Cheney’s
Third Addition to Logansport. He built
for himself the house at 128 Eel River Avenue, occupied today by W.H. Porter.
Dr. Powell is the authority for the
statement that J.B. Messinger took over the mill from Mr. Cheney but E.S.
Messinger, 305 West Market St., son of J.B. Messinger, says that Charles T.
Messinger, his uncle, was the man who operated the mill until he sold it
several years later. It burned in 1875,
according to Dr. Powell.
After Cheney’s retirement, a younger son
of Joseph Charles Uhl, father of Mrs. Frank Clary and Mrs. Harry Wright,
entered the firm, which was called J. & D. Uhl and Company; under this name
the business continued until 1878, when the father decided to become a silent
partner. The name of the firm was
changed again, this time to D. & C. Uhl and Company. When Joseph died in 1897, Charles retired and
C. Harry Uhl, son of Dennis, became a partner and the firm name became Dennis
Uhl and Company.
Elmore Uhl, son of Joseph by a second
marriage, was never concerned with the management of the Empire Mill. He did operate a mill at Delphi,
however. Joseph and Robert Uhlare his
Empire Mill was the last of the 24 or more grist mills that furnished flour
made from Cass County wheat; it was also the largest.
After the death of Dennis in 1913, the
business was continued by the son until December of 1914 when the mill and
elevator were destroyed by fire. Since
then, the site has been unoccupied.
Transcribed by Christine Spencer, April,
NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the
Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this
message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot
be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without
permission of the author. This notice must be included on any
1996-2009 INGenWeb Project