Columns of Will Ball
Logansport Press, June 26, 1949
profit was undoubtedly the sole
reason the firm of Walker and Davis of Ft. Wayne furnished an Indian
outfit to Edward McCartney and sent him to the Mouth of the eel to fit
trading post for dealing with the Indians.
He had with him the usual trade articles:
brightly colored beads, knives, hatchets and
axes and fire water.
built his cabin in the spring
of 1825. Williamson
Wright, who came
here in 1835, says it was located on the north side of the Wabash on
became the Seybold farm just west of town.
He did not stay there very long as he got into trouble
authorities by selling his liquid wares to the red men.
He built another cabin, moving his store into
it. A little later,
within a year or so,
he moved his stock of merchandise and his two Indian wives to Kosciusko
the meantime, in 1826, Alexander
Chamberlain had arrived and built his first cabin on the south bank of
Wabash, probably on the ground of the present residence of Judge
at what is now 505 Cliff Drive.
Chamberlain seems not to have been primarily a trader;
instead he hung
out a shingle advertising accommodations for travelers.
first whites who probably came down
the Wabash from the Great Lakes by way of the portage from the Maumee
River, found the Indian villages at the forks of the Wabash, near what
Hungtinton, at the Mississinewa, the Eel, Rock Creek, Deer Creek,
and all other tributaries.
is why George B. Walker, the Ft.
Wayne trader, sent Edward McCartney to this place to trade his trinkets
Indian beaver pelts which were the only articles that they owned which
value to the whites.
Taber, grandfather of Jesse and
Graham Taber, came in the spring of 1828, blazing the first trail for
from Ft. Wayne. There
were enough whites
here by that time to justify the thought of laying out a town so
Carter bought a section of land from George Cicott, a Frenchman who had
adopted into the Pottawattomie tribe and had used that adoption to
reservation of several sections of land in this vicinity.
Tipton, from Tennessee, was born in
1786. His father,
Joshua Tipton, had
been slain by Cherokee Indians when the boy was seven years old. He came to Indiana
territory with his mother
and the rest of his family in 1807 at the age of 21.
An energetic, active, able man, he had at
once gotten into the heart of affairs in the new community and quickly
a place of leadership that he was to occupy all through his residence
Indiana territory and state. His
political position was that of justice of the peace, an office that
much more weight at that time than at present.
His appointment as justice of the peace was made in June
November of that same year, he was
elected captain of a rifle company following the Battle of Tippecanoe,
which he had distinguished himself by assuming command of his company
death of his superior officer in the fighting.
His advance in military rank was rapid.
He became successively a major, lieutenant colonel,
and finally major general in the Indiana militia.
assumed the duties of Indian agent at Ft. Wayne in May of 1823. From that time until his
death at his home in
Logansport 13 years later, he was, heart and soul, a partisan of the
built his home on the
extreme eastern end of the tract, clearing the land and farming it,
town outgrew its eastern boundary.
laid out additions and sold the lots.
His fourth addition reached to 9th
Street at the time of his
death. He was
“land poor” when he died
and his administrators petitioned the court to sell more land in order
the dollars with which to pay the debts of the estate.
Transcribed by Christine Spencer,
NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the
Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this
message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot
be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without
permission of the author. This notice must be included on any
1996-2009 INGenWeb Project