|Welcome to Cass County Indiana|
This Changing World
The Columns of Will Ball
Logansport Press, May 8, 1949
A tavern, known as Washington Hall, that stood on the southwest corner of 3rd and Market Streets in the 1830’s and 1840’s, was also known as a meeting house. It boasted a room called the “Long Room” that was the popular place for gatherings of all sorts. Court was held there on occasions. Entertainment and amateur theatricals were given there. George Winter, the English artist, who made his home in Logansport for 14 years, painted scenery for at least one such show.
The first playhouse worthy of name, built in Logansport, occupied the top floor of the three story brick building that still stands at 324-326 Market Street. It is not known when this building was erected but probably in the 1850’s or 1860’s. It was built by Isaac N. Partridge, a citizen of some prominence in the community a century ago. It was known as Partridge Hall and was used for dances, theatrical performances, and any other performance that was called for the assembly of a considerable crowd.
Mr. Partridge lived in a large stone house on the southwest corner of 10th and Broadway on the lot now occupied by the Kroeger Funeral Home. He had two daughters, the older of whom, Minna, married John W. Wright, one of the early pioneers. The younger, Alice, married Daniel Voorhees, a famous U.S. Senator, who lived in Terre Haute at the peak of his career.
Partridge Hall lost its popularity when John T. Musselman, another very prominent citizen, erected the three story slope on the corner in 1885. He fitted the third floor of his building for theatrical purposes also. He gave his building a name: Musodeon.
Mr. Musselman came to Logansport from Pennsylvania. He had two daughters, Mrs. Margaret Sala (or Saia) and Mrs. Jennie Magee. Miss Margaret Magee is a granddaughter.
Transcribed by Christine Spencer, April, 2009
© 1996-2009 INGenWeb Project