|Welcome to Cass County Indiana|
This Changing World
The Columns of Will Ball
Court Park: Harvey Brown & the Aldrich Brothers
Chauncey Carter gave us two lots for use as a court house square. The lots immediately west of that plot were sold by the proprietor, the names of the original purchasers are not now available. But like most of the other lots of the original plat, they were put to different uses, residential or business, sometimes both uses were made of the same building. Today they form Court Park.
In 1837, according to Dr. Powell’s History of Cass Co., Harvey Brown lived on the northwest corner of what is now the park, at the corner of 3rd and North, in a two-story, hewed log house. Immediately south of the residence there stood a small, frame building used by Brown as a hat factory. He made beaver hats which were very popular then. No gentleman’s wardrobe was complete unless he had one of those bell-crowned, stiff toppers. Powell makes the statement that the fur was taken from the hide, which was then thrown away, the fur only, evidently, being used in the manufacture of the hat.
Logansport Press, November 19, 1950
Transcribed by Christine Spencer, April, 2009
© 1996-2009 INGenWeb Project