Columns of Will Ball
Mrs. Mary Ely Post, oldest daughter of
Dr. Post, who left quite a story of her recollections, says that their
neighbors on the east, on the corner of 7th, included W.R. Davis,
better known as “Uncle Billy”, a gin maker at 51 Market. On the west, down the hill, Colonel Jordan
Vigus lived, eh was Logansport’s first mayor.
According to Mrs. Ely, Vigus had a store
on the “corner of 6th Street”.
His terraced lot was planted with cherry trees, making most attractive
rows of blossoms in the spring and still more attractive alleys of fruit laden
branches in the summer.
Vigus was a man of many interests. For at least one term he kept the post office
in that store. A Virginian by birth, he
had moved to Lexington, Kentucky when he was 18 and served with the 1st
Kentucky Regiment during the War of 1812.
In 1816 he went to Corydon, then the capitol, where he operated a tallow
shop and tavern and served as director of the Corydon branch Bank. He followed the removal of the capitol to
Indianapolis in 1825, where he again operated a tavern until 1828 when he
joined John Tipton on the banks of the Wabash.
He was one of the first commissioners of
the Wabash and Erie Canal and was one of the men who struck the first pick into
the soil to start that project in Fort Wayne on Feb. 22, 1832.
Transcribed by Christine Spencer, April,
NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the
Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this
message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot
be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without
permission of the author. This notice must be included on any
1996-2009 INGenWeb Project