Howard County Indiana USGenWeb
39th Indiana Regiment Infantry
(reorganized as 8th Indiana Regiment Cavalry - Regiment History
Regiment Company D
Company D Muster
Roll as of 12 June 1863 (letter sent to Howard
- Organized at Indianapolis, Ind., as 39th Regiment
Infantry, August 29, 1861.
- Ordered to Kentucky and duty at Muldraugh's Hill,
Camp Nevin, Nolin Creek and Green River till February, 1862.
- Attached to Wood's Brigade, McCook's Command, at
of the Ohio, October-November, 1861. 6th Brigade, Army of the Ohio, to
- 6th Brigade, 2nd Division, Army of the Ohio, to
- 6th Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of
the Ohio, to November, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, Right Wing 14th Army
Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to January, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 20th Army Corps, Army of
the Cumberland, to April, 1863.
- Unassigned Cavalry Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to
- Designation changed to 8th Cavalry October 15, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, Cavalry Corps, Army of
the Cumberland, to April, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, Kilpatrick's 3rd Division, Cavalry
Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to October, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, Wilson's Cavalry Corps,
Military Division Mississippi, to
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Cavalry Corps, Military
Division Mississippi, to July, 1865.
- Action at Upton's Hill, Ky., October 12, 1861.
- March to Bowling Green, Ky.; thence to Nashville,
Tenn., February 14-March 2, 1862. March to Savannah, Tenn., March
- Battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6-7. Advance on and
siege of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30.
- Pursuit to Booneville May 31-June 6.
- Buell's Campaign in Northern Alabama and Middle
Tennessee June to August.
- March to Nashville, Tenn.; thence to Louisville,
Ky., in pursuit of Bragg August
- Pursuit of Bragg into Kentucky October 1-15. Dog
Walk October 8-9.
- March to Bowling Green, Ky.; thence to Nashville,
Tenn., October 16-November 7, and duty there till December 26.
- Advance on Murfreesboro December 26-30. Duty at
till April 1863 Battle of Stone's River December 30-31, 1862, and
January 1-3, 1863.
- Reconnoissance to Middleton March 6-7. Christiana
and Middleton March 6.
- Regiment mounted and changed to mounted infantry
- Expedition to Middleton May 21-22. Middleton May 22.
- Shelbyville Pike June 4. Operations on Eaglesville
Pike June 4. Near Murfreesboro June 6. Middle Tennessee (or Tullahoma)
Campaign June 22-July 7. Christiana June 24. Liberty Gap June 24-27.
Tullahoma June 29-30.
- Occupation of Middle Tennessee till August 16.
- Passage of Cumberland Mountains and Tennessee River
and Chickamauga (Ga.) Campaign August 16-September 22.
- Davis Ford, Chickamauga Creek, September 17. Battle
Chickamauga September 19-20. Mission Ridge September 22. Shallow Ford
Road September 22. Companies "L" and "M" Join September,
- Expedition to East Tennessee after Champ Ferguson
- Designation changed from 39th Infantry to
8th Cavalry October 15, 1863.
- Courier duty between Chattanooga, Tenn., and
Ringgold, Ga., November-December.
- Operations about Sparta January 4-14, 1864.
- Mill Creek Gap February 25. Leet's Tan Yard March 5.
Near Nickajack Gap March 9.
- Regiment Veteranize February 22, and Veterans on
furlough April-May. Atlanta Campaign July to September.
- Rousseau's Raid July 10-22, 1864. Ten Island Ford,
River, Ala., July 14. Near Greenpoint July 14. Chehaw Station and
Notasulga July 18. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25.
McCook's Raid to Atlanta & West Point R. R. July 27-31. Lovejoy
Station July 29. Clear Creek and near Newnan July 30.
- Dalton August 14-15. Sandtown August 15. Fairburn
Kilpatrick's Raid around Atlanta August 18-22. Camp Creek August 18.
Jonesboro August 19-20. Lovejoy Station August 20. Flank movement on
Jonesboro August 25-30. Camp Creek and Flint River Station August 30.
Jonesboro August 31-September 1.
- Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Campbellton September
Operations against Hood in North Georgia and North Alabama September
- Van Wert October 9-10.
- March to the sea November 15-December 10. Jonesboro
15. Lovejoy Station November
16. Griswoldsville November 22. Milledgeville November 23. Sylvan Grove
November 27. Waynesborough November 27-28. Near Waynesborough November
28. Buckhead Creek November 28 (Cos. "E," "G"). Buckhead Creek (or
Reynolds' Plantation) November 28. Near Louisville November 29.
- Millen Grove December 1. Waynesboro December 4. Near
Springfield December 10. Siege of Savannah December 10-21.
- Campaign of the Carolinas January to April, 1865.
- Blackville, S.C., February 7. Williston February 8.
Johnson's Station February 10-11. Aiken February 11.
- Phillip's Cross Roads, N. C., March 4. Taylor's Hole
Averysboro, March 16. Battle of Bentonville March 19-21. Occupation of
Goldsboro March 24.
- Advance on Raleigh April 9-13. Raleigh April 13.
April 13. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army.
- Duty in the Dept. of North Carolina till July.
Mustered out July 20, 1865. Dismounted detachment left in Tennessee.
- Action at Pulaski September 26-27, 1864. Sparta
Franklin November 30. Nashville December 15-16. Pulaski December 25-26.
Regiment lost during service 9 Officers and 138
Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 250 Enlisted
men by disease. Total 398.