This Large Old Cemetery is about 200 rods, or five-eighths of a mile, Northwest of the Incorporated town of Walton, Indiana, and is at the south edge of the N.W. ¼ of section 25 of T.26 N., R.2 E.
It is on the North Side of a one-mile-long County-Highway which runs East and West along said section 25’s midline, and is about eight or nine Miles Southeast of the County Seat City of Logansport. This Old Vennard Cemetery is about 12 rods East of the [More Modern] Walton Oddfellows [I.O.O.F.] cemetery, and is about midway between it and the Heavily Traveled U.S. Highway 35, A [Here New] paved road which runs from Logansport Southeast to Kokomo, Indiana, by way of Anoka, Walton, Lincoln, and Galveston and, in the Main, follows the Long Abandoned Route formerly taken by the tracks of the [Now almost forgotten] Indiana Union Traction Company’s Electric “Interurban” Line.
Originally set aside for Burial Purposes by William Vennard, a Tipton Township Pioneer. This land was formally conveyed (by recorded deed) in 1870 by hiis son Joseph Vennard. Persons interested in the Cemetery’s early history are referred to Dr. J.Z. Powell’s “History of Cass County, Indiana , Vol.1, page 688.
At the conclusion of this present report, will be found two pages devoted to the Military-Records, etc., of Veterans of Early Wars know to lie buried in this Cemetery, including some little information NOT given on Grave-Markers now Decipherable.
Throughout this report, the Military records of deceased War-Veterans have been spot-lighted with crayon.
Diagram showing Location of Cemetery will be found on the back of this present sheet.
This present record (of Information appearing on Grave-Markers) was prepared for the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library by the:
Walton-Tipton Township Public Library
Of Walton, Indiana
In Co-operation with the
L’Anguille Valley Memorial Association,
Fieldwork, by Robert B. Whitsett, Jr., 500 Front Street, Logansport, Ind. (of that Historical Association), was begun on September 6, 1942, and was completed early 1943. The following record was prepared (from the Original Volumes of Fieldnotes) by: LIBRARIAN Mrs. Mabel M. Bratton, Walton, Indiana.
A native of this region; and was checked back to the Fieldnotes (by the Fieldworker and Mrs. Anna Cary Whitsett), though, owing to conditions growing out of “World War No.2”, (including the rationing of Gasoline and Tires), it was NOT found practicable to check the fieldwork itself.