INGenWeb Project LogoWelcome to the
Miami County
INGenWeb Project
USGenWeb Project LogoSeven Pillars Natural Rock Formation - Miami County Indiana
Photo is Seven Pillars natural rock formation in Miami County.

A Quarter Century of Progress. .. ...
in the Church of the Brethren
Peru, Indiana

1912 ~ 1937

A Brief History

From the 25 year anniversary program

"Man's body is material and his soul immaterial." (Gen 2-7; Eccl. 12:7) Man's rightful heritage is everlasting life. In view of this fact a great need was felt among the few Church of the Brethren members living in Peru prior to 1906 for a place to worship according to the dictates of their own consciences. A petition was circulated and signed by about a dozen of these members.
At District Meeting at Mexico in 1908 the petition was put before the assemblage but action deferred because of winter coming on. A board composed of members of Mexico, Pipe Creek, and Santa Fe churches met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Peters at which time Bro. S. T. Fisher was appointed to find a place of worship. A location was found at 117 South Broadway on the second floor. Sunday School was organized on May 30, 1909 with the following officers in charge: Rev. S. T. Fisher, pastor; Aaron Klepinger, Sunday School Superintendent, and Daisy Peters, chorister.
The church members at the time we began holding preaching services were Bro. Harrison Kerns and wife; Bro. Ben Keeport and wife; Bro. Jake Smith and wife; Sisters Emma Medary, Catherine Erb, Edith Davis, Dossie Webb, Hazel Medary, and Daisy Peters.
The present (1937) church building was stated in December, 1911, and dedication March 18, 1912. The organization had taken place the previous Friday night under the direction of Rev. Peter Houk, Rev. J. C. Murray, and Rev. J. G. Stinebaugh. At this time Bro. Fisher was ordained to the full ministry, continuing to act as resident pastor until Bro. A. G. Crosswhite and wife came in 1920. In 1922 the church was released from the District Mission Board. It was under Bro. Crosswhite's supervision that the parsonage was built, and dedicated September 30, 1923. Bro. Crosswhite was our pastor until the spring of 1927 and Bro. H. H. Helman came to us in the fall of the same year. Bro. Chas. Oberlin began his service in 1929 and he and Mrs. Oberlin have ably and faithfully guided the church until the present time.

Resources, Addresses & LookupsBiographiesCemeteriesCensusChurchesSchools
MilitaryPhoto GalleryVital RecordsGeography, towns, mapsSurnamesLinks

This site is maintained by Debby Beheler

This website is part of the USGenWeb Project.

Debby Beheler 1996-2012  All rights reserved